Leading The Way With UWA
The University of Western Australia and Shenton College are in an exciting, longstanding and innovative partnership that provides opportunities for enrichment to staff and students at both UWA and our school.
In November 1999 a Memorandum of Agreement for the Learning Links program was signed by UWA and Hollywood Senior High School, with the terms being transferred from Hollywood to the newly formed Shenton College in 2001. This ground breaking partnership was recognised nationally when we were successful at the NAB Schools First Impact Award in 2013.
Learning Links provides improved educational outcomes through developing awareness and skills around research processes, increasing involvement in inter-disciplinary activities and providing access to accelerated learning.
The program comprises four major collaboration areas which provide opportunities to enrich the learning experiences of students and staff:
- Work UWA
- School Management Professional Development
- Educational Research Professional Development
- Student Enrichment
Through Learning Links, Shenton College students are given special access to UWA and its leading edge facilities. For example, our Academic Focus Group students who are selected for their outstanding academic potential in Year 11 and 12, are inducted to the UWA Library, and receive borrowing rights to access resources that compliment, enrich and extend their school learning experiences.
Learning Links programs
- Enrichment program focusing on poet Seamus Heaney
- Extension of the successful Shenton College Swimming Program, which continues to boost our success in the A Grade swimming championship
- ASPIRE, a motivational program for Year 10 students
- Continued development of Science Programs
- Powerful Plants and the Virtual Universe Project
- A range of subject specific initiatives for Mathematics, English, Humanities, Languages, Vocational and Sport programs
To find out more about Learning Links today, email